There are 8 lessons in this course:
- The Counselling Session - how micro-skills come together
- Focus on the Present - present experiences; feedback; transference; projection; resistance
- Telephone Counselling - non-visual contact; preparation; initial contact; use of micro-skills; overall process; debriefing; types of problem callers
- Dealing with Crises - defining crisis; types of crisis; dangers of crisis; counsellor’s responses and intervention; post-traumatic stress
- Problem-Solving Techniques I: Aggression - expressing anger; encouraging change; role-play; externalising anger
- Problem-Solving Techniques II: Depression - blocked anger; referral practice; chronic depression; setting goals; promoting action
- Problem-Solving Techniques III: Grief and Loss - loss of relationships; children and grief; stages of grief
- Problem-Solving Techniques IV: Suicide - ethics; reasons for suicide; perceived risk; counselling strategies; alternative approach.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.